Monday, March 3, 2014

More workbenches

Wood Plans Woodworking Carpentry Download
Ben Johnson

It was one of my first woodworking projects about 10 years ago. It may not be pretty but its heavy and I dont care if it takes a beating. It took me about half a year to build, mostly because I was watching too many Woodrights Shop reruns and thought Id try some joinery that was beyond my skill level. Still no fasteners were used in the making of the bench, only glue.

The bench stands 36-1/2" tall -- the height of my table saw on its
stand. The base is made from doubled 2x6s and 2x4s. The top measures 2
foot by 6 foot and is made from sixteen 2x4s.

For the top, I cut all the rounded edges off all the 2x4s for the top
and cut dadoes every 6" in one of the boards for dog holes. After I
glued the boards together, I flattened the top with a jack plane and a
4 foot straight edge.


Things Id change:
- A recessed tool tray for catching wayward tools would have been nice.
- A better vice.
- I store other bench top tools under the bench, and have found the
stretchers are too high for some of the tools Id like to store.
- Id get the top flattened properly.


********

Dave Higgins

Heres the work bench I built last winter its built with constuction grade lumber everythig is laminated together nothing bigger than a 2x6 was used. The inlay work is my first attempt, and is made with peruvian walnut.




*******

Charl Du Plessis

This is my Frankenstein work bench made from wood I salvaged from and old pergola and a deck! It is enormous, 3 meters by 1 meter by 1 meter!! This allows me to have my scrollsaws, bench grinder, and drill press all mounted to it and still have plenty of room on the other side to use as the "bench" part of my workbench without sacrificing alot of the surrounding area in my garage! The side without the tools mounted to it will be getting an MDF top put on it soon to eliminate the gaps between the decking timbers.


It certainly isnt pretty but it definitely serves the purpose. But best of all it cost me a bag of screws!!


*******
John Short

Here is what I use. Its simply 3 2x12s glued up and sitting on a metal table in the back yard by my shed. dimensions are 3x6. Its all I can do without a real shop.



*******

Tony ODriscoll

This is my pride and joy. 300 pounds plus of Maple with a laminated MDF top. Front and end vices. I only wish I included a traditional shoulder vice rather than the large end end vice. Im very glad I didnt include a tool well. I dont need it. Its 7 by 36".



*******

Trevor Scott

Heres my bench. Built from leftover 4x2 from the garage reroof. Woodwork vice at one end, engineers vice at the other. Its 9 long so plenty of space for my drill and scroll saw. Slatted mid section gives me plenty of storage for tools, boxes etc. I need to squeeze a midi lathe in this week but that may have to free stand!



*******
Mere Minutes:



TedsWoodworking Plans and Projects

No comments:

Post a Comment