Friday, February 21, 2014

A Start To A Spice Chest

Wood Plans Woodworking Carpentry Download
Woodworking is decision making. Even if you are working off a plan with full sized measured drawings you will have decisions to make through the process. But this isnt cookie cutter territory here pilgrim, this is one off, custom furniture country round here so get off the fence, tighten your belt, and sharpen your spurs John Wayne.

The first decisions come before you even cut a board, probably before you even pick out your stock. These are your sizing and dimensions. But beyond that its time to start thinking about your joinery styles and techniques. Dovetails are pretty traditional for a piece like this though recently I became a little intrigued by Krenovs use of dowel joints in certain applications. Sometimes my decisions are less of a certainty and more about a gut feeling.


I decided to use half blind dovetails for the top corners for a couple reasons. I was tempted to use full blinds after reading Chris Schwarzs campaign furniture article in the most recent Popular Woodworking Magazine, but I decided to break up the run of the grain by a little. The confession is that the stock cut to build the outer carcass comes from the same board but it is not perfectly continuous. Its very close, but Im trying to use the line of the half blinds to make a little visual break to fool the eyes into following the lines.


I did want the sides to look complete, solid to the top so I buried the top into them. Well see if this is the right decision eventually, I made it though, its done, and Im sticking to it.

It had been a good while since Id last cut anything different than through DTs for my boxes. It was kind of a cool and challenging refresher that went pretty well.


I like to extend my saw cuts well past the layout line when Im cutting this style.


Some small gaping but nothing that will be noticeable by the time Im done.


And a little dry fit to satisfy the curiosity.



 After finishing the dovetails I ran some rabbets along the back and gave it a rest for the night.


Not bad for a first real day back in the shop. The following day I was able to knock out the stopped dados to support the drawers, but that is another post.

Ratione et Passionis
Oldwolf

TedsWoodworking Plans and Projects

No comments:

Post a Comment