Wednesday, February 12, 2014

BUY or DIY poufs

Wood Plans Woodworking Carpentry Download
Moving into my second year of blogging, I want to start including a few weekly or bi-weekly series. If youve been following for a little bit, you probably know that I DIY a lot, though there are also times where buying is better.

So heres my take on BUYing or DIYing. Ill be looking at cost of material, time invested and the probability of pulling your hair out.

First up, the pouf. Poufs are a staple in so many homes because they are incredibly versatile (perfect for a foot rest, extra setting, a step up when needed, etc.), affordable, and often the perfect accessory to finish a room.

the Moroccan pouf:

via
Buy - available from serena and lily, overstock, ebay among others ($110 - $450)

via
or DIY, tutorial via Better Homes and Gardens 

The tutorial is very clear and easy to follow; however, it does require a good bit of more complicated sewing (like more complicated than sewing in a straight line :). I dont have a lot of patience with sewing, so while I think that it is completely doable, its probably not for me. Maybe when I move closer to my mom (aka sewing genius!)

Also depends if you would like leather or fabric, leather can be pricey and more difficult to sew.

So for the Moroccan pouf, I would say BUY (unless you rock at sewing!) In fact, I just bought one from here 

Square Dhurri Pouf:


Buy - West Elm Ansalusia Dhurri Pouf $249 (currently on sale for $199)


or DIY - tutorial via retropolitan. Easy to follow instructions and $9 for rugs from Ikea (and filling of your choice) will get you a large square pouf. If you can sew in a semi straight line this should be fairly easy to try. The only thing that concerns me is that my lower end sewing machine cant handle the thickness of the rug...  I would want to test a thicker material first.

So for a Square Dhurri style pouf, DIY, but maybe with a lighter material! Although, the West Elm ones are gorgeous ... it may be worth it if you are in love with the pattern and cant find a good substitute!

Whats your take, would you like to try either of these DIYs or would you rather buy?

TedsWoodworking Plans and Projects

No comments:

Post a Comment